How fitting. With a mere 36 more hours to go until the end of the UN climate talks in Durban, South Africa and with intensifying international pleas for action on the climate crisis, Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver announces the approval of the Joslyn North Oil Sands Mine in the Alberta tar sands. What will this mean?
- It will add one and a half million tonnes of GHGs pollution each yea – equivalent of putting over 270,000 cars on the road.
- Add 12.5 billion litres of toxic tailings waste each year
- Produce 2,740 tonnes of pollution each year that causes acid rain
- Destroy 7 thousand hectares of land, equivalent to 13,000 football fields
- Remove and pollute up to 22 billion litres of fresh water from the Athabasca River each year (source)
TAKE ACTION: Write Minister Oliver, let him know what you think about his announcement approving the Joslyn mine, Joe.Oliver@parl.gc.ca
Post a Comment
Comments are moderated. We will post relevant comments only. Please send queries to the blog admin.